Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Believe in Spring - Thanks, Steve Jobs

On my facebook page (and on twitter) on August 25, 2011, I posted a special NPR story and marvelous video of the 2005 Reed College Commencement address from a very nice Bob Boilen blog about Steve Jobs.  It was the week of the announcement of Steve Jobs' retirement from Apple, and Bob Boilen, who chronicles interesting music for NPR, was taking special note of how Jobs had changed the way that we listen to music.

Steve Jobs was born not too many years before me and his perspectives on life, challenges and living are valuable to me.  His vision and persistence (even if wrong or "right" too early), too.

The Reed College Commencement speech at Stanford is a wise investment of 15 minutes.



When I got the news of Steve Jobs passing tonight (Ocober 5, 2011) I sent a message to my eldest son (who works for Apple), later we chatted.  When the call was over, up fades my audio on my iPhone.  I hear the last bit of a "THIS WEEK IN TECH" podcast....  

up next in queue in my iphone/ipod, Bill Evans/Tony Bennett:

When lonely feelings chill the meadows of your mind,
just think, if winter comes, can Spring be far behind?
Beneath the deepest snows, the secret of a rose
is merely that it knows you must believe in Spring!


Just as a tree is sure its leaves will reappear,
it knows its emptiness is just a time a year,
the frozen mountain dreams of April's melting streams,
how crystal clear it seems, you must believe in Spring!


You must believe in love and trust it's on its way,
just as the sleeping rose awaits the kiss of May,
so in a world of snow, of things that come and go,
where what you think you know, you can't be certain of,
you must believe in Spring and Love.

 YOU MUST BELIEVE IN SPRING  1968
     Lyrics by: Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman
     Music by: Michel LeGrand


Steve Jobs had ups and downs in his life, in his career, many springs in the cycle of seasons.   He made a difference, as we all can in our own way.

To change the way we listen, to encourage us to listen - and for so much more -

Thanks, Steve.

No comments: